Week of October 2nd Menu
My father-in-law brought me a basket of clams, so it’s time for a clam boil.
1 can of beer
Goya sazon seasoning
Salt to taste
Onions (1 per person)
Linguica (1 per person
Breakfast sausage (1 per person
Potatoes (1 per person
Hot Dogs (1 per person
Clean clams. I soak them in salt water several hours. Meanwhile, put onions, linguica, sausage, and potatoes in a stockpot with beer and seasoning. Simmer until potatoes and onions are tender. Add hot dogs and clams. Steam until clams are open.
Tuesday-Annatto chicken Skillet
This is a new Pampered Chef recipe that I am trying. It looks really quick, easy and delicious!
The Pampered Chef ®
Annatto Chicken Skillet
1 small onion
1 red bell pepper
4 ounces chorizo
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
1 can (15 ounces) pigeon peas, drained
1 packet (.18 ounce) annatto seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Finely chop onion and bell pepper using Food Chopper; place in Prep Bowl. Cut chorizo into 1-inch pieces and chicken into 1 1/2-inch pieces using Utility Knife.
2. Add chorizo to (10-in.) Skillet; cook over medium-high heat 3-4 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently with Nylon Spoon. Remove chorizo from Skillet. Place chorizo in Classic Batter Bowl. Cook chicken in same Skillet 2-3 minutes or until browned. Remove chicken from Skillet; place in batter bowl with chorizo and set aside.
3. In same Skillet, combine onion, bell pepper, rice and garlic pressed with Garlic Press. Cook 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat or until onion begins to soften. Add broth, pigeon peas, seasoning packet and salt; bring to a boil. Add chorizo and chicken to Skillet; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and chicken and chorizo are cooked through. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff rice with fork and serve.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrients per serving: Calories 430, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 80 mg, Carbohydrate 55 g, Protein 31 g, Sodium 760 mg, Fiber 8 g
Cook's Tip: A green bell pepper can be substituted for the red bell pepper, if desired.
If you can't find boneless, skinless chicken thighs, purchase bone-in, skin-on thighs and remove bones and skin using Utility Knife.
Annatto, also known as achiote, is available in different forms, such as paste, pods or ground. It can be found in the Latin section of your grocery store. Use according to package directions.
© 2009 The Pampered Chef used under license.
Wednesday-Pasta and Meat Sauce
I did not get to make this last week because of all the leftovers I had. So I will make this with a salad.
Thursday-Lemon Herb Chicken Ring
I have more turkey leftover, so out from the freezer this will come. This is one of my favorite recipes.
2 cups chopped chicken or turkey
1 cup mozzarella, shredded
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
2 tbsp parsley, fresh, chopped
1 tsp lemon peel
2 cloves garlic
5 tsp mayonnaise
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1. *Preheat oven to 375
2. *Chop chicken, dice bell pepper, chop parsley, zest lemon
3. *Combine above with minced garlic, mozzarella cheese, mayo, and 1 tsp. Italian seasoning mix
4. *Reserve 2 Tbsp. parmesan cheese, add remaining
5. *Unroll crescent rolls, arrange triangles, slightly overlapping, in a circle to look like a sun.
6. *Roll wide ends of dough towards the center to make a 5" opening
7. *Spoon meat mixture evenly over dough in continuous circle
8. *Bring points of triangles over meat mixture and to the center of the ring; pinch to hold in place
9. *Sprinkle remaining parmesan over top
10. *Bake 28-30 minutes until golden brown
Friday-Linguica Calzones with Salad (or pizza)
I have some ground linguica and pizza dough, So I think I will make the calzone. Very easy.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out pizza dough. Sprinkle with about 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese. On top of cheese, sprinkle ground linguica. Roll up calzone, starting with the long end. Pinch ends. Put on the Rectangle Stone (on sale this month!). Bruch with a beaten egg. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden.