Monday, October 31, 2011

Menu Plan for Week of October 31st

This weekend I made lasagna for a crowd and have a lot of leftovers to put in the freezer for later and also for leftovers this week. I addition, I have chicken and fish in my freezer that should be used up this week before all the specials come up for chicken and turkey for the holidays.

This is the time of year I end up stocking the freezer with turkey halves or quarters and ham slices. I have the meat department cut the low cost sale meats into serving sized for my family. Turkey quarters can be made into a meal for the week or weekend without too many leftovers to eat during the week. Also whole or half hams can be sliced into 1 inch steaks to freeze for quick weekday meals. My family loves ham steaks but paying over $3.99 per pound is not what I will pay. I will pay $.89-$1.09 per pound for my ham steaks.

Here is this week’s menu plan:

Monday-Lasagna

I am always amazed that people think lasagna take a lot of time to make. I made 2 large lasagnas this weekend in a little more than 20 minutes of hands on time. I put on a quick sauce with ground beef and ground pork (5 min). Then I mixed up ricotta cheese with 2 eggs, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning (2 min). I boiled water while making tea and put the no boil lasagna noodles to soak in the water. (5 min). When the sauce was done, I just layered sauce, noodles, cheese, sauce and repeated that 3 times per pan (10 min). Then just put them in the oven at 375 for 40 minutes. While they cooked, I took my shower and got ready for my guests. If I was not cooking for a crowd, I would have made two smaller lasagnas and put one in the freezer before cooking for a later date. Two meals done in less than 25 minutes of hands on work! That’s fast food!

Tuesday-Oven Fried Chicken Drumsticks with mashed potatoes and salad

My husband helped a friend with a machine he was having problems with last week. This friend has an enormous garden and he gave us salad greens, scallions, pears, parsley and cilantro. I used some of the lettuce this weekend with the lasagna but I have some left and will use it this week with dinners and lunches. Today I had a salad wrap for lunch (yum).

Wednesday-Salmon with rice and broccoli

Thursday-Chicken and Rice with some type of vegetable

My daughters love green beans from a can. I know they are not the healthiest way to eat green beans but at least they eat them! They will not eat them if they are frozen or fresh, so I will open and can for the green beans.

Friday-Pizza night

I will make linguica pizza and salad. My daughter does not like sauce on her pizza, so one of the pizzas will have no sauce and some veggies instead of linguica.
Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment