Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sausage Veggie Soup

This week I taught my cooking class at the Council on Aging. Every January, I have done two soup recipes. I made a Corn Chowder (I think I have this recipe in another post) and a Sausage Veggie Soup.

It was a perfect day for a soup class. It was bitter cold outside. As always everyone loved the soups. I have included the recipe for the Sausage Veggie Soup below. We added croutons in the soup instead of crackers. Enjoy!

Sausage Veggie Soup

1 lb Italian Sausage, casing removed
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 ribs of celery, chopped
2 tbs oil
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 can beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes
½ cup dried small pasta such as orzo, small shells, elbows
2 cans chicken stock
Garlic, salt and pepper to taste

Saute sausage, onion, carrots and celery for a 3-4 minutes in oil. Break up sausage. Add minced garlic. Add chicken stock and can of tomatoes with juice. Add shredded cabbage and zucchini. Bring to a boil. Add beans and orzo. Salt and pepper to taste. When hot and cabbage and zucchini are wilted, enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment