Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Chill in the Air--Soup Day!

It's 58 degrees in my house. It's a little cold here. As I was trying to get myself geared up to clean the house, I thought I would cook a big pot of soup.

I always store miscellaneous chicken bones in the freezer for a cool day. First, I sauteed the frozen chicken pieces with a little olive oil and onion. Once nicely browned, I added water, a carrot, parsley, leftover lettuce, peppercorns, bay leaves and let it simmer. The house smells wonderful!

Once the stock is done, I will strain and discard all the bones and vegetables. To the stock I will add another carrot or 2, assorted beans, onions, parsley, maybe some green beans, zucchini (or pumpkini), garlic and whatever else I need to use up or feel like adding. I may add a potato or 2 during the last 1/2 hour of cooking.

Maybe I'll serve it with some homemade bread, biscuits or dumplings. Good eating! You can't get that from a can or package!

No comments:

Post a Comment