Friday, October 9, 2009

Can you make a pie with Pumpkini?

My father-in-law plants a large garden every year. He always puts in pumpkins for the kids and zucchini for me. This year he grew what he thought were two zucchini plants. He ended up with one zucchini plant and one that was a little different. He started getting a vegetable that looked like a fat zucchini/watermelon. He did not know what to do with these, so I got them.

At first, I did not know what to do with them. I stir-fried, boiled, made zucchini sauce, etc. with these strange vegetables. A few of them ended up getting so large, I was not sure what to do with them, so I just stored them. They started to change. They started to turn orange like a pumpkin. Seeing this, I decided to investigate. Googling strange zucchini, I found that we may have pumpkini...a cross between zucchini and pumpkin.

OK, now I know what I have. What do I do with it? Since I have made pumpkin pie and squash pie for the holidays, I tried to put this vegetable in a pie. I baked a cut and cleaned out squash until soft. Not sure how this was going to turn out, I scooped out the flesh and pureed the pulp. I chose a recipe from an old Farm Journal Baking Cookbook. I used my own recipe for a one crust pie: 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup oil, 1/4 cup of milk, dash of salt.

Apprehensively, I put the pie in the oven for about 1 hour at 400 degrees. Upon taking it out of the oven, I noticed it was much lighter in color than a pumpkin pie. Tasting the pie was going to prove if this experiment was a success. Well, it was! It tastes like a pumpkin/custard pie. I am very pleased with the outcome. When you think about it, there really was not a reason to worry. What would happen if it did not come out OK? We would throw it in the garbage and try again. Now I know I can make a very respectable pie with my pumpkini. But, can I make bread with it? We will see!

No comments:

Post a Comment