Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Family Celebration

My mother turned 70 yesterday. My sister thought we should go out to a restaurant to celebrate this milestone. I thought we should celebrate at home where we can relax and linger at the table. In addition to being more relaxed, it would be a better budget decision to have it at home. Volunteering my home, I set out to make a nice meal that I knew my mother would love.
The Menu
Cheese and Crackers

Stuffed Mushrooms: Sautéed onions, garlic, cheese and homemade bread crumbs
Boneless Pork Roast: Slow roasted for 3 hours with a rub of olive oil, seasoned salt and crushed garlic
Roasted Potatoes and Onions: Cubed potatoes (both red and white) and coarsely chopped onions seasoned with garlic, seasoned salt and olive oil. Cook in the pan with the roast about 1 hour before the roast is done.
Broccoli with Cheese Sauce: Sautéed broccoli with homemade cheese sauce
Turtle Fudge Skillet Cake with ice cream: Chocolate cake cooked in the skillet, frosted with melted chocolate and caramel.

The cost breakdown was about $40 for 13 people. In addition, we have leftovers which were split amongst the guests. The cost to go out to the restaurant would have been about $20 per person.

It did take a little bit of work on my part. I estimate that I spent about 1 1/2 hours of hands on time to make this celebration work. In my mind, this was a priceless celebration: very relaxed and fun time with my family. Instead of going out to a restaurant or function hall to celebrate birthdays or anniversaries, try doing the celebration at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment