Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Light Shrimp and Pasta

I bought a bag of frozen shrimp thinking I could make something great for my family. My daughter saw the bag in the freezer and immediately started asking if she could defrost them and start eating them. I kept telling her that the bag was going to be for a dinner and she could not have them as a shrimp cocktail. I figured I better make something fast before I came home to an empty bag of shrimp and my husband and daughter on a shrimp cocktail high.

Tonight I adapted a recipe to use up the shrimp. It was a big hit with my family. Hopefully you will enjoy it, too!

Light Shrimp and Pasta

1 lbs pasta
2 tbs oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 cup diced tomatoes (with out the juice, if canned)
2 ounces light cream cheese
1/2 cup evaporated 2% milk
12 ounces shrimp (fresh or frozen, cleaned and deveined)
2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbs butter
salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta to al dente.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet (I used my 12" stainless skillet). Add chopped onions. Saute for about 3 minutes until soften. Add tomatoes and garlic. Heat until hot. Move all vegetables to the sides of the pan and melt cream cheese in the center, when creamy and melted, add the milk and shrimp. Cook until shrimp are pink and cooked. Add Parmesan cheese, butter, salt and pepper.

Add pasta to the shrimp mixture to coat. Serve with extra Parmesan cheese.

Enjoy!

Just so you know, I did leave some shrimp to the side for my daughter and husband to have a little shrimp cocktail! They were happy with the meal and the shrimp cocktail.

No comments:

Post a Comment